Interestingly, I have come across quite a few designers lately raving about money dispute with the clients on different community forums. Since, I thought this article might be useful for most of the inexperienced designers.
Here is a list of top 10 excuses made by clients to get cheap design work rates for their projects.
- Do this work for cheap and we’ll make it up in the next design project.
- We can not pay upfront, and will only release payment once you have delivered the final design.
- You will get massive publicity and a lot of work once you have done this design project for us, for free!
- After having a look at the rough design copy, this is what you get: “We are not sure if this is what we want, however let us discuss this within our team, partner, family, etc and we shall get back to you.”
- Project is little delayed because we do not have enough time at the moment. Keep our tab open and we will continue working on the design next month.
- Work contract? Don’t you trust us? I thought we were cool 😉
- You can send us an invoice once the work is complete.
- We cannot do $x,xxx because our budget is only $xxx, firm!
- The last designer we had, was doing it for $xxx.
- We cannot pay you upfront because of some financial issues; however we will definitely make it up after you have delivered.
Please understand that the list of top 10 excuses wasn’t compiled to mock any firm or individual, however is published to bring novice designers into reality, and out of fantasy world so that they can stop losing money on offering cheap design work rates.
image source: unknown