You must have come across the term ‘motion design’, which is often discussed in the designing world. Many big and medium sized firms are now hiring designers who possess this skill. In a recent event, the tech giant Google also stated that motion design will be used across all the product lines of Google. So, you must be wondering what the fuss is all about. Well, Motion conveys stories. The design and the photographs plays a major role in UI.
Each thing in an app is actually a sequence and the motion is your guide. For each button that is clicked and when there is a transition on the screen, there is some story that follows. If you want to delete an item, it is probably the most destructive action; therefore you will have to make it respond accordingly. You should not make the item vanish with any binary action. Put it off your screen or even put it back to the depth of the device to be a digital scrap.
In order to create an item, it has to be really lively. You will have to bring it into existence by popping or bouncing the item on the screen; however, do not overdo this action as it is best to keep it in the simplest form for making it more effective. Now you must be wondering if motion design is just about making things bounce across the screen. Well, it is much more than that. Motion design is now becoming really very important for interface design; in fact, it is driving the entire UI.
Here are some points to bring out what motion design can do.
- Reinforcement of Special Relations: Every screen in an app wants a home or a place for it to reside so that the user can use it at any point of time. In case the screen slides from the left side, it dismisses towards the bottom of the screen
- Each Screen within an App Needs a Home: Each screen needs a home – somewhere it can live so that a user can call on it at any time. If a screen slides in from the left and then dismisses toward the bottom of your screen, will you find it back from the bottom? Or did it get deleted? Isn’t that pretty confusing? You can make a comparison of this with the new motion language, which was introduced in their app a few weeks ago. If you keep the entrance as well as the exit animations proper and consistent, you will know where exactly the page lives and you can find that whenever needed.
- Action with Motion: Motion will actually reinforce the action performed by the user. Whenever you delete an object, it can become blurred or can go back in a z space, indicating that it is now deleted from the app. The actions like email sending will slide the complete message off the top of the screen for reinforcing the sending actions.
- Enhancement of Password Animation: In case a password is entered, an easy and simple nod animation could be introduced on completion. The horizontal shake could be utilized when denying the password. These kinds of gestures can be recognized and thereby these have now become the main feedback for confirming the action. The wrong password prompt will become a support for animation. In certain cases, you can ignore the text depending on the animation for providing the user feedback.
- Hide the Latency: Do you wish to load in some assets without your users noticing it? You will be able to mask these bits of delay, which is also known as latency using some interesting animations. When you are loading an audio file on the net, there is a good chance of seeing a delay till the stream starts off. You can create a simple looking animation, which transitions into the pause icon instead of having the play icon moving into a loading order after it is selected. In case the file loads within this time, then the user will not see a lag in loading the file. The animation will temporarily distract the user when the backend is functioning. You can anyways avoid displaying the loading status and this will thereby make the app become really fast.
- Motion Language Creation: You can create the motion language for the app and it will reinforce your brand and add in a personality to it. The animation will support your brand identity and also the design. You have to ensure that you keep these ideas in mind when you craft the interface. Motion design is a very useful and powerful tool that keeps your users glued to the app. It will do wonders on tedious tasks like keying in the passwords or even scrolling through texts. The users will now expect the fluid interface, which will respond to the touch.
Motion design is definitely going to be the future of user interface. A lot of companies are looking to implement this in their companies.