What is the basic purpose of the brochure? It is to educate its readers, convey good credibility and authority to the company increase the target audience, and persuade consumers to take action. Dull trivial brochures that you come across the streets don’t solve any of these purposes. What is your first reaction when you come across such brochures? You just glimpse at it and then dump it in the nearest available trash can. This is definitely not what the brochure makers expected from it. The basic purpose of getting the reader hooked to read the information shared in it is totally defeated.
Brochure graphic design needs the right temperament and at times can be really complicated, confusing, and incredibly challenging. If you have that right attitude in you, then you can design it yourself for your company. The following DIY tips will guide you in designing an impactful brochure.
1. Identify and Focus on the Purpose: For some, this excellent marketing tool can be a way to build brand loyalty to sell more products or a lead-nurturing marketing strategy. To know what is your exact purpose of designing a brochure is thus extremely important before starting to design one; else you might end wasting your time, energy and money.
2. Emphasize on the Front Cover: It is the most important element of brochure graphic designing. It is the first thing that a consumer or a target audience sees and thus should leave the best of the impression. So, give special attention to it and do not leave even the minutest detail unattended. It should be engaging, spectacular and visually appealing. Only if the cover is able to engage a person, he is likely to open and go through it. The best of the images and graphics should be reserved for this page. The colours used should be such that they get the attention instantly and the cover page should create the curiosity to look over the content.
3. Be Creative and Unique in Approach: Instead of going with readymade templates, which get boring and monotonous, try to create something unique and original. If you want people to pick up your brochure from the pile and browse through it, you will have to think out of the box. Going with readily available templates will only make your brochure one among the crowd. If you want to stand out and shine, you need to get creative. So, custom design yours keeping in mind your potential customers. A brochure is a communication tool and whatever you put into it is a direct communication with your audience. So, you should know exactly what and how to tell and in what order.
4. Don’t Shy Away in Taking Help: DIY does not mean in any way that you cannot take help or outsource parts that you are weak in. There will be certain aspects where you are really good at; similarly, there will be areas where you might need someone to help you out. It can be anything like copywriting, selection of colours or fonts, artwork etc. Your ultimate aim is to get the best result and for that if you feel you need an expert’s help in any area don’t shy away from seeking.
5. Quality Should Be of Top Priority: If you are designing it yourself just to save cost then that is the biggest mistake you are committing. Quality should never be compromised. Emphasis should always be on quality over cost. Remember the basic purpose of going for brochures. You want your targeted customers to take you seriously. The reputation of your business is on the line and if you sacrifice quality to save few bucks it will only highlight your cheapness.
6. Use the Best Images Possible: The images used can make or break the entire thing. Use high-quality images and take them with professional precision. If you are not good at it, better hire someone to do the job. You can also use stock images available on various websites, but never ever compromise on the quality of images.
As a powerful picture is enough to narrate the entire story, so is the well-designed brochure. A highly effective brochure distinctly and succinctly details what your business is about and what you can do for your customers. With the right copywriting and extraordinary brochure graphic design, a story can be told that promotes your brand and your business.
If you are sure you have the DIY attitude, and you are willing to learn and invest the time and energy needed, then design your own quality brochure. It will definitely reflect well on your business and products or services.