The number of mobile users has increased in big numbers in the past few years. Due to major technological developments, users are able to use their phones for multiple purposes. A recent research has shown that the net usage has more than doubled in the past few years. If you intend to bring in more visitors, then you will have to aim at making a mobile-friendly website as most of the users these days access websites using their smartphones. There is a high possibility that that your site will receive more mobile traffic. This will also give you an upper edge over your competitors.
Here are some useful tips on how to design a mobile-friendly website.
- Follow the Correct Approach for Mobile Web Designing: It is important to choose one good approach that is able to give a unique experience to the users who access the site using their mobiles. There are a lot of ways to tackle the designing of a mobile-friendly site.
- It Has to Be Responsive: In this kind of website, all the images, URL, HTML will remain the same. The CSS will give new rules based on the browser’s width.
- Dynamic or Adaptive: In this case, the site URL will remain the same; however, the difference is that the server will give out different CSS as well as HTML on the basis of mobile device, which sends page request.
- Separate Website (Mobile): This is an approach that is used to create a site, which is generally hosted on sub folder; you will have scenarios where a mobile site uses a separate URL that will be parallel to the desktop sites.
- Find out the Basic Necessities of Users: When you are creating a responsive website that is user friendly, you should be able to impress your site visitors. Therefore, it is important that you find out what exactly users are looking for in your site. Make sure that people are able to easily navigate to different pages in your site and they have a great experience when they are at your site.
- Have a Clear Idea about What Your Competitors Are Doing: It is always a great thing to stick to your plan when it comes to site designing; however, getting to know what your competitors are doing with regard to their site is also a good idea. Before you start off working on your website, it is a good idea to look at other sites or even your competitor’s site to get some fresh ideas.
- Responsive Web Design Is Not the Ultimate Solution: Though this is a great way of making a mobile-friendly site, it is not necessarily the right way of providing a nice mobile experience. There may be a necessity to use custom URL for impressing mobile users. This kind of site will also give you the ability to change some of the site’s elements like the main menu, text and so on.
- Add an Impressive Search Box on the Site: As the mobile sites are small screen-wise, it gets really difficult for users to move from one page to another; therefore, it is advised that you put up an impressive search box so that users can search the information without any difficulty. This will also enhance the user experience in a big way.
- Visual Indicators Should Not Be Ignored: Mobile browsers do not come with progress indicators; therefore, it will be good if you can give a visual feedback as a part of the mobile site design. A classic example is discussed here. If a user taps on a button on your site, you can make the button appear in a different color as a form of indication stating that the tap on the particular menu has taken place.
- Have a Good Consistency: When you are designing a mobile-friendly website, you will have to take many things into consideration. You may even have to change the design layout for adjusting the content to go well with your mobile site. It is very essential however to maintain consistency throughout your site. Your website should look appealing and impressive to the users.
- The Text Input Must Be Minimal: It is best to keep the text input as minimal as you possibly can as it is seen as a major issue by a lot of smartphone users otherwise. Do not do anything that will irritate the users. You will have to keep in mind that you are designing this site to reach out to a maximum number of people. If users lose interest in your site, then there is a problem. You will have to work with these things in mind to come up with a great looking mobile-friendly website.
These are some of the tips that can help you design a mobile-friendly website.