The cost of living in an urban city means we often have less space to play with than our suburban friends who enjoy lavish houses. So, in order to make the best of the least possible space, we have to make room for everything and that too aesthetically. If you also have a small apartment and face the problem of having a small bedroom scarcely large enough for a bed, a much smaller bathroom, no storage space etc. then look no further than this list of clever space-saving design solutions.
These designing tips will help you find awesome ways to make better use of the limited space you have. Right from clever storage solutions to simple room dividers, learn how to make the most out of your small-space situation with these 8 creative design ideas.
- Nightstand: If your bedroom hardly has space for bed then placing a night stand there will be a luxury. So, place one that mounts on the wall. It is perfect for a small room. The open space beneath it can be used to stash things. If you mount the lamp on the wall then the top of the nightstand is free to keep books after reading at night.
- Use Walls Efficiently: Make optimum use of the walls by hanging shelves on it. This way, you don’t have to lose any floor space and you will also gain a lot of storage space by hanging shelves up high that run across the length of the room. Wall shelves provide a catch-all for books and other sundries in a super-narrow sleeping space. You can also opt for a shelf mounted above your bed with lights underneath. Make sure to have lights just above your head if you like to read in bed at night.
- Kitchen Divider: Kitchen needs a lot of storage. You can have a lot of kitchen cabinets done full length on the wall. The high-up cabinets can be used to store things that are not frequently needed. You can also separate the kitchen from the dining area using a small wall divider. This floor to ceiling divider should have shelves to store and display your crockery and pretty glassware. It is aesthetically appealing and keeps the area open and airy.
- Curtain Divider: You can use curtain divider to separate two adjoining rooms. A nice bright coloured curtain can add colour and adds to the dramatic element. It visually separates the two rooms without taking any space.
- Space beneath the Stairs: If you have stairs in your house then the space beneath the stairs can be utilised beautifully for storage. You can add a shelving unit there or turn it into a mini bar storing bar essentials. If you are an avid reader, this space can be used to display your book collection. If you have small children and a lot of toys, then this space is just perfect to stash their toys, books etc. On the top, you can have shelves and bottom you can place small canvas bins for them to dump their stuff out of sight.
- 6. Stairs: You have utilised the space beneath the stairs. You can also turn each stair into awesome drawers. This is by far the wisest use of the space.
- Bathroom Décor: Bathroom is another small cramped room, which lacks space in a small apartment. Here, multiple narrow wall shelves are an excellent way to store bathroom essentials in a stylish way. There are things in bathroom that you want to display and then there are unsightly toiletries. Invest in some attractive canisters to hold your lotions and creams. Get small wicker baskets for additional hidden storage. Laundry bag can be hung behind the door.
- Multipurpose Space: Apart from all spaces that you have created in bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, you need some multipurpose space too, which can be converted in a short notice according to the situation. This is usually done in one room, which serves as a workstation and can be converted to a guest room when desired. For this, get a simple desk unit on one wall with shelves above for storage. Look for a desk, which has a concealed bed connected with it so that it can be pulled out when guests arrive.
With your creativity and imagination, you can basically make a very small apartment look huge. A small room gives a spacious appearance if you add floor-to-ceiling window treatments. If your floor plan is small, having a high ceiling does the trick to give it a bigger look. Right from creating clever storage solutions to adding a green touch to your balcony, you need to let your imagination go wild. The small size of your apartment is in no way a hindrance to making it look big on storage.