The living room is basically the mirror of your personality and as you entertain guests here you want it to be perfect. If you have a separate living room and a family room, you can not only keep it comfortable, but also somewhat formal area. In such cases where the two are different living rooms are not much used, care should be taken not to make it picture perfect as such settings give a crisp feeling and make people uncomfortable.
If a single room serves the purpose of both living room and family room then it should have an informal mood. It should be a source of pleasure and relaxation where both the family members and the guests should feel comfortable.
These 6 trendy interior design tips will help you make your living room stand out yet having that air of warmth and relaxation.
- Furniture: This is the most crucial thing to choose. This room is the main showcase of the house when a guest enters. So, the furniture should have that wow factor, and at the same time, it should be comfortable as the family members spend maximum time there bonding. It is better to divide the room into two or three separate seating areas. One should be for formal guests and others cozy seating areas where you can entertain informally in small groups. You can demarcate the cozy areas by having low seating arrangements and throw in some rugs.
- Colour of the Walls: Always choose lighter and neutral shades. This gives you a lot of freedom in choosing the furniture as all colours can blend with light shades. Even if you have furniture in a lighter shade, you can add a lot of colour and vibrancy by adding colorful and decorative pillows and cushions.
- Flooring: Go for waxed hardwood flooring as it is easy to maintain and looks elegant. If your flooring is not good, use wall to wall carpets in neutral colour and add a dash of colour on it by decorating with area rugs.
- Focal Point: Buying the right kind of furniture is the first step. Placing it in the right orientation is what will make it shine out. Especially for formal seating, the furniture should face some architectural focal point like a fireplace or an arch. If you don’t have any such focal point, you can create one by hanging a beautiful picture or a mural on the wall. Mural is a painting or other work of art executed directly on a wall. So, have it done on one wall of your living room and place the furniture facing that wall.
- Decorative Divider: If you have small children or elders in the family who are always in front of TV then you can place a decorative room divider to divide the room into TV room and a living room. Japanese paper screens called Soji screens are excellent for this purpose. This will provide privacy when you are talking to your esteemed guests. As it also permits diffused light inside, it creates that dramatic effect, which makes the atmosphere calm and serene.
- Lighting: The lighting in the living room should be both general and diffused. You have many options available to play with these days. You can get the false ceiling done with different lighting arrangements to use as and when required. Some fancy lanterns with teacup candles can be used to create a romantic mood if you want. There should be some floor lamps to give bright light as well.
The living room can rightly be called the hub of the home. It is a single room, which serves as a place to relax, to entertain, to bond, to watch TV and what not. Keeping all the purposes that you want it to serve, design it in a way that it suits your taste and works for you. When it comes to designing and decorating your living room, it should certainly reflect your personality and style, but it does not mean that practicality and versatility should be compromised in any way. The form and the function of the room should be met both aesthetically and economically.
Never try to replicate what your friend have done in his living area. Choose furnishings that suit your needs. The style is important no doubt, but along with style, you need things that work for you and also last long. They should also be easy on maintenance. So, spend some time to explore all your available options and then choose the one that suits you the best.